Tired of the time it takes to do laundry? Us, too. It seems like as soon as we finish laundry, more piles magically appear. Does this happen to you, too?
But, you deserve more time - time spent NOT doing laundry. To make your life a bit easier, we gathered a few simple tips that will make laundry day a little better.
1. Wash your baseball cap in a Tupperware container.
Place your baseball cap in a sealable Tupperware container with a tablespoon of detergent and some warm water. Close the Tupperware container and shake a few times. Remove cap from Tupperware container and let it dry. It will look like new and keep its shape.
2. Never lose your socks again.
Keep pairs of socks from going astray by placing them in a laundry mesh bag. Once the bag is zipped up, throw it in with the rest of the clothes in the washer. When it’s time to fold the clean laundry, no more missing socks!
3. Clean smelly workout clothes with white vinegar.
There are two ways to do this:
A. Pre-soak your workout clothes in 1 cup of white vinegar and cold water (in your clean sink) for 15-30 minutes before throwing it in the wash.
B. Otherwise, throw your workout clothes in the wash and add a cup of white vinegar to the machine’s rinse cycle.
The main point here is that the vinegar runs through the wash separate from the detergent. Boom! No more stink.
4. Use a Dry-Erase marker to write directions on the washer.
Grab a marker that easily wipes off a whiteboard. Leave a note on the lid of the washing machine to remind yourself if an item run through the washer needs to be air-dried. Wipe off the reminder when finished.
5. Choose to use a shorter wash cycle.
This is a super easy, time saving laundry tip. If the clothing isn’t stained and has only been worn once or twice, choose the light setting on the washing machine. It only lasts 6-8 minutes.
6. Clean the washer with baking soda and vinegar.
Yes, even your top-loading washer needs a good cleaning now and then.
- Set the washer to run on hot water with the largest load setting. Add 3-4 cups of white vinegar to the water. Allow the machine to run for a minute to mix in the vinegar.
- Add ½ cup of baking soda. Allow the machine to run for a minute to mix in the baking soda.
- Stop the washer and allow the water to sit for 30-60 minutes.
- Using a clean cloth dipped in vinegar and water, wipe down the top of the washer, the knobs, and the bleach/fabric softener dispenser areas.
- Let the wash cycle resume until the water drains.
- Start another hot wash cycle and allow it to completely run through.
7. Dry clothes faster by adding a towel.
Throw a dry towel in with a load of wet clothes for the first 15 minutes to speed up drying time. The dry towel helps reduce the moisture in the wet clothing. Make sure to take the towel out after 15-20 minutes, so the towel doesn’t contribute to the moisture in the dryer and even extend potential drying time.
8. Keep comforters fluffy with tennis balls.
Wrap two or three tennis balls in some old socks (to keep the fuzz contained) and throw them in the dryer with winter jackets, comforters, or bedding to keep those items remaining nice and fluffy.
9. Fold clothes painlessly.
If you dread folding your clothes, check out the FlipFold Shirt & Laundry Folder to fold laundry quickly and efficiently. Place shirts, sweaters, or pants on the board, flip the sides, and boom, it’s folded. Simple, but amazing. It’s a great time saver.
10. Use an UpCart for easy transport of laundry.
The UpCart was made to easily go up and down the stairs, enabling you to transport loads of laundry easily and effortlessly through your home, saving you time and strength. Available at www.upcart.com.